Monday, November 10, 2014

Happiness is everywhere

I opened up my cash envelope at the register. I counted the dollars and gave the money to the cashier. I looked back into my envelope. All that was left was a dollar. I smiled and grabbed my groceries. I didn't want to start crying as that was the last dollar I had and there was still awhile to pay day. 

That's a normal scene for us. Probably normal for a lot of people right now. Adam and I got back into credit card debt. Not because we were buying fancy things but because it's all we could do to pay for the things we needed. 

I read a study that people like to appear wealthy to others. And that is especially true on facebook. Most people who meet us are surprised to find out we don't have much. So I'm here to clarify how life is. 

We had both cards almost maxed out. I had been praying for a solution and it came. I was able to start a cleaning business and that has almost gotten one card paid off and made it so we haven't had to go deeper into debt. Adam got accepted to school and is now seeking employment in Arizona. 

We are selling everything we can to earn money to move and to continue to get out of debt. But we aren't sad about it. 

I think that's the part that confuses most people. We are poor and happy. I've learned so many things I never would have learned had we bought a house back in 2011. I've learned to give because we always find people here who have way less than us. I've learned to let "things" go. The most important things in life are people. 

I also know that God has helped me. I couldn't be happy without Him. Every time I think we won't make it financially, the spirit will prompt me to sell something. Or donate something. And somehow we haven't missed one bill. I have gotten so much strength from this trying time. I wouldn't trade it for anything. 


4 comments:

  1. Hey, so we live in AZ. What school did he get into out here. Where will you guys be living? Have any ideas yet. If you want we could help you out a little and see if there are any job openings through our ward and friends. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome! He got into NAU but their PA program is based out of Phoenix not flagstaff. We were looking at living close to the Phoenix temple! Thank you so much we are going to move at the end of December! Do you guys just love Arizona? After some cold weather I think I'm ready

      Delete
    2. oh man! we do like that it isn't freezing cold all the time, but the summers in Phoenix are hard! It is soo hot! You feel like your flip-flops will melt into the sidewalk sometimes!! We are about 30 min. away from the Phoenix Temple. It is a very beautiful area. I think you will like it.

      Delete
    3. Oh boy I even created a pin board on pinterest about surviving the summers in phoenix. we are hoping to move to goodyear. Our fingers are crossed for a house to rent thats in a safe neighborhood and affordable

      Delete