Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bib Bandana Tutorial


Bib Bandana Tutorial

I have a ton of bandanas from high school that just aren't well...
Momish... I guess. Being 22 I'm just not into it any more.
But they look so cute on my little man.
I got to thinking why not make a bandana bib.
Of course I'm not the first to think of this and I have to give credit to


A lot of concepts came from there.

What you need:

Bandana
Old Towel
(terry cloth or old flannel blankie)
Measuring tape
Pins
Velcro
Patience

He looks innocent enough. But he is a drooling machine! This bib so far has held a lot more drool than the other bibs I have.

Here is the old bandana. Measure 12 inches (I cut off anything that wasn't part of the pattern.)
I used a normal pen and did a circle on the zero inches and 12 inches. Then measure 12 to the other side of the point (its going to be 17x12x12 if that helps) I just used the lines from the bandana I didn't really do a super straight line because they didn't have one.

See my nice dot? Just pretend like you do.
You should have 3 dots.
Line up your dots then draw a line.

Cut away!

Next the old towel.
I used the bandana as a pattern to cut two pieces of terry cloth because I am so making more than one of these. You only want to make one... then don't fold.

NOTE: old flannel would be much thinner. If you just want it for show and not a whole lot of function then thats what I suggest.
The terry cloth is so thick for my teething baby. It is working awesome.


This is what we don't want to use! Cut off all binding that was on the old towel it'll make your life so much better!

Everything is cut nice pin the right sides together. (AKA you can see the fabric you don't want showing I know I picked fabrics that really either side didn't matter.

Now that everything is cut sew away! 1/4 inch seam allowance and be sure to leave a hole so you can pull it back inside out! (I swear every time I get in the zone and almost forget)


Be sure to cut your corners very nicely!!! Give a little room from the actual seam. If you don't cut the corners you have even more thickness.
After pulling everything inside out be sure to sew up the hole. I made sure mine would be hidden in the back by doing it on a side.


This is how I measured out my velcro.


Add the "stick" part to the towel side and the "catch" part to the bandana on the opposite side.
EDIT: Wait, wait opposite!!
I later had to change that. the towel part touches the babes neck... don't want the stick part to scratch them.
This is where patience comes in if you are using an old towel (its SUPER THICK!)
Sew on the velcro and take it easy on the sewing machine.

Once you get through that...



All done!!!

How cute is that?
Totally going to be making some more and putting them in my etsy shop!
Happy Tuesday!

Happy Baby!
Let me know if you have any questions or need some more clarification.




No comments:

Post a Comment