Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Pregnancy and Delivery

My Pregnancy

This post is pretty personal. Lately (probably because its summer) I've had more than 
normal amounts of people ask how I lost all my baby weight. I've also had people ask me
how I was able to run and bike days after having Thayne.
I gained 32lbs while pregnant with Thayne or at least at my last appointment thats what I was
at. It could be more.
I have lost all that extra weight PLUS some. I lost an additional 10lbs from what I was at pre-pregnancy. 

My secret? Exercise. The WHOLE TIME! 

Now I do realize that there are circumstances when you can't exercise while pregnant.
I highly recommend that you see your doctor to give you the go ahead. 

With that being said this is what I did... first trimester I lived life totally normal. 
Went on runs, racquetball, snowboarding, and anything else I felt like doing. 
The baby is so protected there really is nothing to worry about. Even weights.

2nd Trimester
I slowed the running down in fact I just walked around (when I mean walk around I'm talking at least 4 miles a day including very steep hills). 
I actually started biking as well. I didn't feel comfortable running with my now bump and after a miscarriage before I just didn't feel comfortable.
Plenty of people continue to run throughout all trimesters; you know your body
better than anyone else. Do whatever feels right to you. 
I still did snowboarding (against my doctors wishes) 
I quit racquetball though, something about a 90mph ball going toward my belly didn't seem right.
I also did hiking.
Still did weights but much lighter. (Babies can get heavy)

3rd Trimester
Weather warmed up and I was getting super excited to be outdoors even more. 
I took up a water aerobics class (best decision ever) 
On the days I didn't have the class I biked/ walked
Occasionally I played tennis
I even played golf once 
Still light weights
I exercised until the day my water broke and then I had a new work out... a delivery.

Why am I telling you all this? 

In my motor development book by Payne (7th edition)
I found out that "Women who exercised before pregnancy and continued to do so during pregnancy tended to weigh less, gain less weight, and deliver smaller babies than controls."
They also found that, "physically active women appear to tolerate labor pain better"
webmd.com confirms benefits, "staying physically active while pregnant helps prevent too much weight gain and lowers the risk of gestational diabetes and preeclampsia (high blood pressure that can happen during pregnancy). And here's some really welcome news: The benefits might extend to the delivery room, according to Artal. "We know that women who are physically fit can push the baby out much easier."

This was my motivation to continue to exercise while pregnant. 

Although there was no guarantee that my labor would be easier I thought anything that would help I'm willing to do.

My Delivery 

If this part is going to freak you out go ahead and skip to post baby otherwise read on!

My due date was July 23rd (graduation day! HA!)
Something in me told me that our little man was going to come early.
No one believed me till June 29th at 11:00 at night while doing homework I couldn't stop peeing. 
I called my mom to see if I should go to the hospital. 
The phone call went something like this, "Hi Mom... don't freak out or anything but I have a question,
I can't stop peeing what do you think is wrong?" Mom, "Thats NOT pee!!!! Your water broke go to the hospital!" 
So we did. 
Come to find out my water did break and they wouldn't let me leave the hospital because now I was prone to infection. 
Did I mention I went to a midwife not actually a doctor, doctor? 
The nurse gave me an IV (I swear they do that to trap you) and wanted to start an inducing drug.
I wasn't very excited about that. I had heard about inducing drugs and how it makes 
the contractions so much worse.
I told her I didn't want it.
One of the midwives came in and told me because of the situation I needed one. She said they'd put me on a super low dose. So all night long I got it pumped into my body...
Finally in the afternoon the next day contractions started 
(unfortunately I was still on my inducing drug)
I did do an epidural which helped with the unnatural contractions. 
I wont get into all the nitty gritty but lets just say I didn't tear 
I totally believe that because of a wonderful midwife and exercise 
I had a great delivery.

My midwife was so patient with me and was cheering for me the whole time.

Post Baby


Thanks to my great delivery I was able to continue my normal routine and even start running shortly after. I have been able to live my life my normally and enjoy my little man who just turned one.
Thayne is quite the outdoors man and loves the water. 


6 comments:

  1. You know I totally believe it. My first I didn't work out because everyone told me that was how they lost there baby so I was afraid of everything and I put on the pounds because of it. And I still haven't lost it all. But my other two I work out the entire time and I lost it all within 3 months post baby. It is amazing the benefits of working out. It did not however help with delivery for me. I had to have c-sections for all 3 but my recovery was always quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And maybe thats the thing it helps with the quick recovery! I kept hearing of everyone being scared to work out to lose the baby and I was at first too. Then I realized that women long before our generation didn't have the luxuries of not doing anything and they still had babies so I can still live my life. My mom had all c-sections! Sorry to hear that you have to go through that. Then you can only have 4 kids right?

      Delete
    2. It all depends on who you have for a DR. My last doc. was amazing. He told me if I want to have more children and the Doc will not let me then I just need to find someone else who will. I hope the DR.s here will be as nice.

      Delete
    3. I hope so too! You guys have such an awesome family and great kids! I can't believe how much they have grown. Miss having nursery with them!

      Delete
  2. I'm totally into working out, let's just hope my next baby will let me and not have me hanging over the toilet. I'm so worried with the second one cause I hear you get much bigger and faster! Ah Alyse be my coach through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bleh! Morning sickness (or as I like to call it all the time sickness) is not fun! You had it the whole time huh? We will just have to plan having a kid at the same time and help each other! Ha ha I think Kendyl will keep you up on your feet! I know Thayne will keep me up (hence not being excited to have another one for a while)

      Delete