Thursday, July 10, 2014

Because I run like a girl

Lately I've been thinking about where I stand on things. Like everything. There is so much to be opinionated about these days. And I hate talking politics because really only two parties? I'll leave those posts to bloggers who love to argue. Luckily there is more than politics to be  opinionated about. I recently saw a video called #likeagirl. I had to watch it to see what it was all about. I was impressed.
You have to watch it too otherwise you will have no idea what I am talking about...




My mother and father raised me to believe I could do anything I wanted. In fact I spent many childhood days dreaming of being a pro soccer player. Although soccer nor volleyball happened in high school like I had thought I found out that runners were athletes too. I had unfortunate event happen to my body in high school that effected my speed and it did not increase my senior year. Even though my medley relay team broke our school record I still wasn't fast enough. I didn't tell anyone but I did want to run in college on a team. The amazing thing about running is that you don't need a team. I can always run. So what does that have to do with the video? I want my children to know what it means to me to do things "like a girl". To me running like a girl means pushing physical limits. Attempting to brush aside the want of chocolate... And then giving in and having to run with a belly full of chocolate. Running like a girl means no excuses. I have my babies and I run with them. Running like a girl also means being a proud winner but also a good loser. Adam can out run me any day. It's a fact. But that doesn't stop me from trying to keep up with him. In fact to take this picture he had to slow down and push the stroller...

Exercise is important to me. That's why I studied it in college. I love learning how my body works and how to make it stronger. I saw a quote on Pinterest that said "I don't want to be someone else I want to be me but healthier and stronger". That rings true for me as well. I'm proud to run like a girl. I'm proud to be a girl. I'm striving to have a positive outlook about my body. Sure it has flaws but it's all I got so I'm going to work with it. And I'm going to keep on running no matter who is passing me. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! I watched that video a few days ago and I am so glad for the positive message it is sending to young girls. Oh... and thank you for posting and keeping a blog. It's so much better than the quick couple of sentences or comments most people post on Facebook. Love you kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy! I love blogging I just feel like I'm horrible at it. My goal was once a week but apparently once a month has been the norm. I love this message as well. I love some of the changes that are coming about.

    ReplyDelete