Friday, May 25, 2012

Celebrating 6 months of cloth diapers


6 months of cloth diapers!!! Can you believe it?
Little man is turning one next month and has been saving just a tiny part of the environment and not even knowing it.
This post is about some of the things I have faced and some of the things I have learned.
I hope this helps you if you are thinking about cloth diapering or trying them out as well.

The cloth diapers I use are flip I have a few Indian Prefolds as well for at night.


First things first the bag...
I bought a planet wise diaper pail liner (about 17 bucks) which worked just fine other than you have to have a diaper
pail (price varies on how fancy you want to get).
I also with the help of my mother (ok so maybe all I did was buy and pick out fabric) made this bag which I
now use instead of the pail and pail liner system and I love it because it
1. takes up WAY less space
2. Easily sits next to the toliet
3. Can travel with us
4. I got to choose whatever style and size I wanted
5. IT ZIPS!!!


Don't worry it normally doesn't sit on the counter.
And please don't zoom in on my toes.
Baking soda helps combat the stink. Just sprinkle a little into whatever you hold your diapers in.
Finally verdict I like my bag A LOT better and it was cheap to make.
 (google tutorials on cloth diaper bags to find one you like)

Another thing I have learned is that it is always nice to have disposables on hand
It is not fun having a sick baby with runny poop every diaper in cloth.

Unfortunately I found out later that you should wash your diapers every couple of days. I bought enough
diapers for 4 days. which is really nice to have the extra but really 2 days worth of cloth diapers (plus a couple extra for while they are being washed is all you really need.

Hope this helps! I am sure loving the cloth diapers and the sense of security they bring.
i don't have to worry about running to the store for more diapers or worry about if they are on sale.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love hearing other cloth diapering success stories!
    Your homemade bag is really cute and practical by the way, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Thank goodness I have my mom close to help me!! I swear I have ADD and she keeps me focused on getting the projects done.

      Delete