Monday, August 20, 2012

How to make your kitchen stuff apartment friendly

I have a small kitchen and a small budget.
But every time we move it feels like I could fill a whole room full of kitchen labeled boxes.
But every move I feel like I get rid of a ton of stuff!

I used to complain about my small kitchen (especially when dining space is small)
but now I'm not only learning to cope, I'm learning to love my small kitchens. 

This is our kitchen we have right now... Super open and at first glance seems pretty spacious. 

Which really it is for a second kitchen in a house. 
How we made it work. Right by the stove was the microwave.
Now we have the kitchen aid. It added a lot more counter space.


Now microwave is right by the table. It uses up counter space that was hard to use anyway.
Now there are a lot of cabinets in this kitchen but only 4 drawers. Compared to our last place that felt like it was all drawers.
Now that you see the space this is what I have and don't have to help make it work.

I bought this restaurant style shelving unit to help with even more storage. 
Its right next to the fridge.
I realize that not every space can fit something like this but get creative. On the top I have gifting stuff. The next one down games, extra heavy food, 72 hours worth of water, more kitchen stuff, camping, ect.  


Storing/cooking/freezing food. These glass snap wares do it all. 
Very multifunctional, very good looking. I can use them for serving
as well and store sauces in the small bowls. 

What I don't have: tupperware, plastic containers. 
They always melt in the microwave and get nasty. 


Pyrex mixing/measuring bowl 

I love this for so many reasons. Its pourable, It has a lid for storing. What isn't there to like?

What I don't have: seperate serving bowls (note this isn't the only mixing bowl I have)
I used to have some very nice big fancy bowls for serving food. If I mixed in them the bowl would 
damage. So I quickly got rid of those and now stick to mixing/serving bowls. 

Dish ware for year round. 

In this picture I'm trying to show you a chip in these dishes. When they chip its really not that bad. 
Which was actually why I bought them. The dishes I had before when they chipped it was so obvious.
These ones almost seem like chips are ok.

They work all year around and are nice enough for everyday and special occasions.



Cute storage.
I love these containers and at $1.00 a piece I couldn't pass it up. These act as decoration and store my sugar.


Also important is this little nook. I use it to store dry beans, pasta, brown and white rice. And Fruit!

Also important to apartment kitchens is child safety. I like these clamps because you don't instal anything and can move around with us.

This is the pantry. You can have a ton of food and live in an apartment. You just need less kitchen tools.


More of a list of dos and don'ts

Do have: cast iron pan
Don't have: Tons of cheap pans 

Do have: A blender
Don't have: bullet, and all those other things they say you need to chop and grind

Do have: enough mugs for a week (I like my hot chocolate)
Don't have: A mug for every plate I own (yuck)

Do have: manual can opener
Don't have: electric (just takes up space and constantly breaks)

Do have: Crock Pot, Rice Cooker
Don't have: unnecessary appliances (think about what you cook the most)

I hope this is helpful. I feel like you get a lot of kitchen stuff when you go to college and get married. 
If you are thinking about downsizing its great. Much easier to find things 
and keep track of everything. More important though is multifunctional. 
Small spaces need multifunctional.


No comments:

Post a Comment