Thursday, August 23, 2012

Learning things from minimalism

Disclamier: I don't profess myself to be a minimalist in anyway
 
I think it is so awesome we can share things so quick via internet, radio, TV, and ect.
A trend right now is minimalism. But really is it a trend?
I wouldn't call those who migrated over to America long, long ago hoarders.
They traveled with just a carry on bag long before we ever did!
We are designed to live on less.
It seems like my generation and the generation before mine just got spoiled by lazyiness.
Why make something when you can just buy it?
And if you can just buy it, why not have 10?!?!?!
 
That seems to be what started the problem.
Now we have a recession (mini great depression?)
People are learning that living with less is not only ok but it feels great.
Bringing us back to our senses.
 
Any true minimalist that came to my basement apartment would probably freak.
"Look at all those jackets! I could fit everything I own into that coat closet!"
Might be something they would say.
Something I've realized for minimalism (I'm talking about extreme)
is that it isn't "kid" friendly.
Teeny Tiny Cars that fit 1 person. 
Houses that are 1sqmeter
Those wont fit a family.
 
Back to our long, long ago ancestors...
Have you ever been inside a replica of a log cabin that was used when people came out west?
Tiny!!! I think my living room and kitchen have twice as much sqft.
Not only that but then the tour guide said, "this house was probably for a family of ten"
Where the heck did they sleep?
Super simple times total family minimalists.
I'm not saying I want to live like that but I think its important to remember what matter most to them.
They were outside probably 90% of the time.
Worked together, Ate together, played together, and slept all in the same room!
And they were happy.
 
I give props to these ancestors I consider true minimalists.
What I take from them is the less the merrier as far as things.
They cooked awesome meals without 5x as much stuff we have.
You can be happy without a bunch of technology and all the latest stuff.
Simplicity is great.
 
Here are a few things I have learned from minimalism:
Minimalist don't get attached to things.
Stuff is just stuff. It seems like they let go of items easier.
I love this idea i don't want to be someone who holds on to something just to hold on to it.
That doesn't mean that I don't have sentimental things I just have less and ones that
mean more. Like I don't have my favorite sea world shirt from when I was a kid.
But I do have pictures of me having fun wearing it.
 
Something else I have been thinking about is my favorite cartoons as a kid.
One thing every cartoon show had in common is that each character wore the SAME outfit every time that character was on.
And it never bothered me. It was part of the characters trademark.
I definitely could not wear the same thing everyday but I do think we have our favorites and we could wear
that at least one a week maybe if our closet is big once every 2 weeks.
What if we could have less shoes?
Maybe less jackets (I am working on it!)
 
Another minimalist idea I want to adapt is IN N' OUT's menu
Its our favorite! Why?
There are like 3 choices.
Hardly any thinking, good quality, and good price!
That is something I think we all could implement more of.
What if my menu was like that?
It would make my life a lot easier!
We didn't narrow it down to 3 things but we did find out our favorites and usually once a week I try a new recipe (just to
spice it up a bit)
And sometimes the new recipe becomes a favorite and replaces something similar.
I have started a "pinterest" cookbook at home where I print out our favorite online recipes. why even buy a
cookbook anymore?
 
 
 
 
This is a room upstairs in my parents domain.
I love it because the decorations are simple yet impactful because there is less.
There is color but not too much. Comfy couches that invite but aren't overbearing.
Everything flows for whatever reason when I think of my minimalism I think of this room.
 
 
Have you adapted any minimalist ideas into your life?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment